Sunday, September 27, 2015

My Learning Style

Starting at a young age, learning became ingrained into our minds. Each teacher taught differently, therefore we had to discover our unique way of learning. As we progressed through elementary, middle, high school, and even college, we develop our learning skills to make us successful. From my experience, a person's learning style reflects their personality traits. Their learning style gives you an understanding of what type of person they are and how their mind works. Knowing how you learn can make you a better and more successful student.
What Success Really Looks Like

While many believe understanding learning style leads to success, according to Angela Lee Duckworth, an indicator of success could be a person's "grit". I believe grit is a measurement of a person's motivation or determination. Motivation is a big part of success. Without it, people would give up when the going gets tough. Success is a grind and grit is used to push through the obstacles.
To discover my specific learning style, I took the Index of Learning Style (ISL). The ISL is an instrument that Richard M. Felder and Barbara A. Soloman of North Carolina State University developed to help people determine their learning styles.    
My Learning Style

As you can see from the picture, I'm a balanced learner when it comes to being an Active vs. Reflective Learner. I've notice that I retain information better through hands on experience. But, I also like to sit back and reflect on what I've been taught. I'm also fairly balanced as a Sensing vs. Intuitive Learner with a little leaning toward Intuitive. Lectures and repetition bore me. However, I like learning facts and new intuitive ideas. As a Sequential vs. Global Learner, I'm also balanced. Some classes, I'm able to learn the material and follow the process. Other classes require me to take time until I finally "get it". I believe I'm very logical and able to simplify the main idea. Between a Visual vs. Verbal Learner, I'm more of a Visual learner. I need to see examples and work it out myself. It takes longer for me to process the information through verbal communication. Hands on learning lets the information sink in quicker. Overall, the test made me aware of specific learning strategies that are unique to me.
Bored During Lectures
With the help of Felder and Soloman, I can apply my learning style to myself. Knowing that I'm a reasonably balanced learner, except more Visual Learner, I can use this to my advantage. I will be more aware of which material takes longer to understand and which material is easy. This will help me focus on the material that takes longer to grasp. Also, I will be more focus in lectures. Even though lectures are boring, I am aware that retaining verbal information takes longer for me to process. As a Building Construction major, hands on experience is a major part of of the program. This fits perfectly into my learning style. I will be able to retain more information and apply it faster.
Personal learning styles varies per person. A persons "grit" depends on their inner motivation or determination. Add those two together and you can be a very successful person or a confused individual. Fully understanding your learning style and having that "grit" can lead to a successful career. I believe I can use my understanding of my personal learning style to my advantage. My "grit" or determination is not even in question. I know that I can work through any obstacle. In time, I know I will be successful because of my understanding and "grit".

No comments:

Post a Comment